Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Oracle Client on W2K8 Server (Oracle Client, v10.2.0.3, Windows 2008 Server R2)
Oracle Client on W2K8 Server [message #490996] Fri, 28 January 2011 07:06 Go to next message
buzz71
I have installed an application suite (AppX) on Windows 2008 Server which has both Windows applications and a web GUI element (ASP.NET running through IIS 7.5).

The Windows apps are in both VB and .NET and compiled specifically for x86 (due to COM component dependencies).

I have installed the "Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.3/10.2.0.4)
Enterprise/Standard Edition for Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7" Oracle Client on the Windows 2008 Server.

After installation AppX windows modules all worked fine with the Oracle Db but the Web Application was getting the following error:

System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

After a bit of research I found a few articles suggesting setting up the ORACLE_HOME directory in the Windows Environment variables.

So I tried setting up the ORACLE_HOME environment setting and had some success as the AppX web application worked fine!
However, the Windows apps of AppX were now broken and returning the error:

System.Exception: OCIEnvCreate failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available.
at System.Data.OracleClient.OciHandle..ctor(OciHandle parentHandle, HTYPE handleType, MODE ocimode, HANDLEFLAG handleflags)
at System.Data.OracleClient.OciEnvironmentHandle..ctor(MODE environmentMode, Boolean unicode)
at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleInternalConnection.OpenOnLocalTransaction(String userName, String password, String serverName, Boolean integratedSecurity, Boolean unicode, Boolean omitOracleConnectionName)
at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleInternalConnection..ctor(OracleConnectionString connectionOptions)
at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnection.Open()

So I am struggling to get both the Windows and Web App both working on the same Windows 2008 Server. Sad

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Oracle Client on W2K8 Server [message #491037 is a reply to message #490996] Fri, 28 January 2011 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>So I am struggling to get both the Windows and Web App both working on the same Windows 2008 Server. Sad
What does any of this have to do with Oracle RDBMS as problem or solution?
Re: Oracle Client on W2K8 Server [message #491042 is a reply to message #491037] Fri, 28 January 2011 09:53 Go to previous message
buzz71
>So I am struggling to get both the Windows and Web App both working on the same Windows 2008 Server. Sad
>What does any of this have to do with Oracle RDBMS as problem or solution?

Hi
Just using the forum to see if others have the same issue and wanted to share the solution (if there is one).
If you search using google you will find other related issues.
I hope you do not have issues in the future.
It is placed in the correct forum section:
"Oracle on Microsoft Windows - Installation, Configuration and Troubleshooting (including ODP.NET, VB, ASP, DAC, ODBC, OO4O and OLE DB issues)."
This is an OLE DB issue.
Thanks,
BUZZ
Previous Topic: Please I need help!
Next Topic: 11g service not starting automatically on Windows 7 Professional
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:19:37 CDT 2024