Home » Other » Community Hangout » GOTO
GOTO [message #634774] Sun, 15 March 2015 20:40 Go to next message
BlackSwan
http://xkcd.com/292/
Re: GOTO [message #634869 is a reply to message #634774] Tue, 17 March 2015 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
It's almost tempting to do it just so you can say you've been eaten by a velociraptor.

For the uninitiated, the mouse-over 'Neal Stephenson thinks its cute to name his labels Dengo' is a reference to Stephenson's book Cryptonomicon. It contains a minor character, a Japanese man named Goto Dengo, which itself is a pun for "Go To ... Then Go ...".

Stephenson is an ex-programmer who uses a lot of tech in his stories. I cannot speak highly enough of his novels. Masterpieces.
Stephenson - review of REAMDE [message #634874 is a reply to message #634869] Tue, 17 March 2015 05:53 Go to previous message
John Watson
Folowing Ross's post:

For me, Cryptonomicon has been far and away his best. A techno-thriller, with a good dose of history and humour.

I recently read REAMDE. It's a monster: 1040 pages. I bought it from an internet secondhand book dealer for GBP0.01 plus GBP2.99 postage, excellent value. The tech content is low, mostly based around an MMORPG, though there is an interesting description of how to track down the physical location of an IP address which I think might actually work. It is really an action thriller: plenty of exotic locations, violence, guns, a bit of romance, and some humour. Hard core Stephenson fans will probably consider REAMDE to be a bit light, but for the rest of us, it is a damn good read.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 March 2015 05:54]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: 20 Jokes that only Intellectuals will understand
Next Topic: Les chats français
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:40:49 CDT 2024