Home » Server Options » Data Guard » PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) (19c)
PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687704] Mon, 15 May 2023 06:30 Go to next message
waqassharif
Hello everyone,

I have configured dataguard for 19c Database on LINUX(Primary) and Windows(Auxiliary).
Can someone please share pros and cons about this as I want to configure it on production environments.

Thanks
Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687707 is a reply to message #687704] Mon, 15 May 2023 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum.
Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.

I wouldn't say that cross platform Data Guard has pros and cons. You need to ask if you need it. For example, if your objective is a near zero downtime platform migration, then you do; if your objective is near zero downtime in the event of a primary failure, then you don't.

(ps - a DG config is primary and STANDBY, not primary and AUXILIARY)
Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687710 is a reply to message #687707] Mon, 15 May 2023 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waqassharif
Thanks John for the reply. I just want to check either there is any disadvantage of having Standby on windows, instead of Linux. And if so can you please highlight these.
Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687711 is a reply to message #687710] Tue, 16 May 2023 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
The "disadvantage" is obvious: Windows isn't Linux. You must have had reasons for choosing Linux for the primary, those reasons are 100% valid for the standby too. Why would you want to failover from one operating system to another?
Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687712 is a reply to message #687711] Tue, 16 May 2023 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waqassharif
It is a company requirement to do so.
Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687718 is a reply to message #687704] Tue, 16 May 2023 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waqassharif
anyone please explain
Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687719 is a reply to message #687718] Tue, 16 May 2023 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

If it's a company requirement then
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and...

Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687724 is a reply to message #687719] Tue, 16 May 2023 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waqassharif
I want to configure it on production server, which precautionary measure do I need to address before implementation and also what are the disadvantages of this.
I have received this request from a client/company and I have to give them a short descriptive presentation on pros and cons of doing this on production. I also do have searched on google but did not find any proper answer.
That's why I am here to check with some seniors/professionals in this field to help me point out these things.
Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687725 is a reply to message #687724] Wed, 17 May 2023 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
All right, I'll try again.Quote:
I have to give them a short descriptive presentation on pros and cons of doing this
I would tell the client that the sole purpose of the cross platform Data Guard capability is to assist with platform migration. It is not intended for any sort of high availability. If they intend to switch over to the Windows system and then drop the Linux system, great! Zero downtime for the move! If they intend to use the Windows system in the event of failure of the Linux system, well, forget it. Think of such basic things as external procedures or directories: They won't work.
Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687726 is a reply to message #687724] Wed, 17 May 2023 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Data Guard Concepts and Administration,
Chapter 2.3 Oracle Data Guard Operational Prerequisites,
Section 2.3.1 Hardware and Operating System Requirements:

Quote:
The same release of Oracle Database Enterprise Edition must be installed on the primary database and all standby databases, except during rolling database upgrades using logical or transient logical standby databases.

As of Oracle Database 11g, Oracle Data Guard provides increased flexibility for Oracle Data Guard configurations in which the primary and standby systems may have different CPU architectures, operating systems (for example, Windows and Linux), operating system binaries (32-bit/64-bit), or Oracle database binaries (32-bit/64-bit).

This increased mixed-platform flexibility is subject to the current restrictions documented in the My Oracle Support notes 413484.1 and 1085687.1 at http://support.oracle.com.
Note 413484.1 discusses mixed-platform support and restrictions for physical standbys.
Note 1085687.1 discusses mixed-platform support and restrictions for logical standbys.

This for Oracle side, for application one, the purpose of a DR database is to replace the usual production one in case of failure.
So are you sure your application will 100% work on Windows? Have all tests been executed? Features, performances, support of load, security, backup...?
With all evolution of your application, tests have to be done on Linux and Windows. Have you the people to do so?

And to quote John:
Quote:
You must have had reasons for choosing Linux for the primary, those reasons are 100% valid for the standby too.

So the first question is not "what are the cons?" but "will this work?", not only for Oracle side (it is supported) but for the enterprise one.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 May 2023 01:01]

Report message to a moderator

icon14.gif  Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687736 is a reply to message #687725] Wed, 17 May 2023 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waqassharif
Thanks John this point is helpful for me in the meeting.
Re: PROS and CONS of cross platform dataguard(Linux and windows) [message #687737 is a reply to message #687726] Wed, 17 May 2023 22:57 Go to previous message
waqassharif
Thanks Michel.  :)
Previous Topic: RMAN-06820 on rman backup from standby with OS authentication
Next Topic: Oracle Express - how to setup a DR standby server?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:53:07 CDT 2024