Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » resource manager used with SE2 (Oracle 12c to 19c)
resource manager used with SE2 [message #687774] Tue, 30 May 2023 08:58 Go to next message
Mulhmma
Hi,

When I create a database with Oracle SE2, even empty, I can see in dba_feature_usage-statistics that RESOURCE MANAGER (which seems to be an EE feature) is used.

I tried many things as add the following lines in the init.ora before to create the database :
  resource_limit=FALSE or TRUE
  resource_manager_plan=''

and at the end of the creation, I immediatly ran theses queries :
  execute dbms_scheduler.set_attribute('MONDAY_WINDOW','RESOURCE_PLAN','');
  execute dbms_scheduler.set_attribute('TUESDAY_WINDOW','RESOURCE_PLAN','');
  execute dbms_scheduler.set_attribute('WEDNESDAY_WINDOW','RESOURCE_PLAN','');
  execute dbms_scheduler.set_attribute('THURSDAY_WINDOW','RESOURCE_PLAN','');
  execute dbms_scheduler.set_attribute('FRIDAY_WINDOW','RESOURCE_PLAN','');
  execute dbms_scheduler.set_attribute('SATURDAY_WINDOW','RESOURCE_PLAN','');
  execute dbms_scheduler.set_attribute('SUNDAY_WINDOW','RESOURCE_PLAN','');
  execute dbms_scheduler.set_attribute('WEEKNIGHT_WINDOW','RESOURCE_PLAN','');
  execute dbms_scheduler.set_attribute('WEEKEND_WINDOW','RESOURCE_PLAN','');
but this does not change anything.

If anybody has an idea about disable "Resource Manager".

thank you

Regards

Den

Re: resource manager used with SE2 [message #687775 is a reply to message #687774] Tue, 30 May 2023 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
The Resource Manager is always used in SE2: It implements the 16 thread CPU limit. You can't get around that.
Re: resource manager used with SE2 [message #687776 is a reply to message #687775] Tue, 30 May 2023 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mulhmma
Hi John,

Thank you for your response.

I had thought of something like that but I had not found an explanation at Oracle.

It's more clear now !  :)

I should have joined this forum sooner !

Best regards

Den
Re: resource manager used with SE2 [message #687778 is a reply to message #687775] Tue, 30 May 2023 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

John Watson wrote on Tue, 30 May 2023 17:08
The Resource Manager is always used in SE2: It implements the 16 thread CPU limit. You can't get around that.

Strange that Oracle reports it as a used feature when Resource Manager is not a SE2 feature in Database Licensing Information User Manual.

Re: resource manager used with SE2 [message #687779 is a reply to message #687778] Tue, 30 May 2023 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
It is documented (somewhere....) that instance caging is implemented with the RM. That must be how the 16 thread limit is imposed. Also documented is that instance caging is available in all editions. I would think this is an example of Uncle Oracle breaking his own rules. There are several such. The weirdest one, for me, is Transparent Data Encryption. That is Enterprise Edition plus the Adv Security pack. Oh no it isn't! On OCI, TDE is not only available in SE2, but if you don't use it you get a shed load of warnings. Parallel query is another: you can't use it in SE2. But on an SE2 RAC (which is no longer possible, of course) PQ was used to query the GV$ views.
Re: resource manager used with SE2 [message #687780 is a reply to message #687779] Tue, 30 May 2023 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Well, they can break their own rules but they should not then report it as a break from us.
Why they didn't break the "Resource Manager" feature in 2 features like they did for partitioning (after the same kind of discussions): "Partitioning (system)" (free) and "Partitioning (user)" (EE and Partitioning option)?

Re: resource manager used with SE2 [message #687782 is a reply to message #687780] Wed, 31 May 2023 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mulhmma
Hi Michel and John,

Yes I hope that it's not a problem in case of Oracle audit.

Using mcoptions, I also saw others EE used features without doing anything in an 19c SE2 installation with minimum composants :
- deferred segment creation is true  : resolved gving false value in init.ora
- Advanced Compression --------------------> Oracle Utility Datapump (Export) | I don't understand why because I have however forced the COMPRESSION parameter to NONE is my expdp script from the first export
- Advanced Security -----------------------> Oracle Utility Datapump (Export) |
- SQL Plan Directive : I had to put several parameters in init.ora to disable it
- Real Application Security : finally allowed only with dbms_network_acls

In short, I find that it's really not easy to respect the Oracle'rules.

Regards

Den
Re: resource manager used with SE2 [message #687783 is a reply to message #687782] Wed, 31 May 2023 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

There are cases that McOptions cannot determine if it is a legal use or not, in this case I choose the safest option: report as used.
As specified in the first post of McOptions topic:

Quote:
Note: McOptions cannot determine if the option is mandatory or not in some very specific cases; in these cases when it detects the use of the objects it reports as a used feature with the associated option or pack.
For instance, in the following cases (extract from 19c Licensing Manual, underlining is mine):
Quote:
If you are licensed for the on-premise Oracle Database Enterprise Edition, then you can use certain subprograms of the DBMS_SQLTUNE package even if you do not have an Oracle Tuning Pack license.
Quote:
Some data in DBA_STREAMS_TP_COMPONENT_STAT requires Oracle Diagnostics Pack. The following filter clause to any query on DBA_STREAMS_TP_COMPONENT_STAT shows Diagnostics-Pack-dependent data:
where STATISTIC_UNIT = 'PERCENT'

Note: McOptions does not take into account some restricted use licenses included in other ones; in these cases when it detects the use of the features it reports them as a used option or pack.
For instance  (extract from 19c Licensing Manual):
Quote:
Oracle Label Security includes a restricted use license for the following Oracle Enterprise Manager features:
• Application Data Models (previously called Data Discovery and Modeling)
• Sensitive Column Types and Sensitive Data Discovery
• Application Accelerators
If you want to use the Oracle Enterprise Manager features listed above not solely for the purposes of Oracle Label Security, then you must purchase a full-use license for Oracle Data Masking and Subsetting Pack.
Re: resource manager used with SE2 [message #687784 is a reply to message #687783] Wed, 31 May 2023 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mulhmma
Hi Michel,

Yes I understand, I find that Oracle licensing is complex and not very clear, espacially when features are considered as EE but are activated by default at the database creation as "deferred segment creation" (it seems to me).
According to me, it's actually better that, if you cannot determine if it's a legal use or not, you consider it as used (or perhaps "used (to verify)" for example, if it's possible ?)
The problem is that the exact match of given descriptions in dba_feature_usage_statistics are difficult to find in the Oracle documentation. I find that's a complete blur most of the time.

Den
Re: resource manager used with SE2 [message #687785 is a reply to message #687782] Thu, 01 June 2023 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
- SQL Plan Directive : I had to put several parameters in init.ora to disable it
I am not aware that Directives are not permitted in SE2. They certainly get created - automatically - just as in EE.

Whether you want to use them is a different matter. When they appeared in 12.1 I thought they were an excellent facility and they were enabled by default. However, it seems that at a minority of sites (0.1% ? 49.9% ? No idea) they caused problems, so from 12.2 they are still created automatically but by default not used.
Re: resource manager used with SE2 [message #687786 is a reply to message #687785] Fri, 02 June 2023 03:46 Go to previous message
Mulhmma
Hi John,

Indeed we can use it in a reduced way with the SE2 but as we find a use in dba_feature_statistics_usage (mcoptions also reports this information), we prefer better to deactivate the functionality.
Once again I don't find this to be very clear in terms of Oracle licensing and as I'm not an expert ...  :?

But, you are probably right.

Den

Previous Topic: session parameters AUTO-change for specific user
Next Topic: Database patching when moving to new ORACLE_HOME
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:21:05 CDT 2024