Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » WLM vs Database Resource Manager (Oracle)
WLM vs Database Resource Manager (Oracle) [message #113643] Tue, 13 March 2001 01:05 Go to next message
Kok Hwa
Hi Guru,
I am a DBA, I am going into OS/390 environment soon (till now have not see the screen yet!!). I am currently exploring the options above.

Both these utility enable manipulation of "resource allocation" to allow user to prioritise their requests. For example, provide more computing
resources to OLTP request compare to batch request during office hour.

It is obvious that under OS that doesn't provide this utility or having limited utility - we can make use of Database Resource Manager (Oracle). Since OS/390 provide Work Load Manager (WLM). Assuming I have a machine running OS/390 solely for Oracle RDBMS. Under this circumstance, which is better with refer to
the following :
- more efficient
- easy to manage / maintain

What do you suggest? What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance for any contribution.
Re: WLM vs Database Resource Manager (Oracle) [message #113647 is a reply to message #113643] Wed, 14 March 2001 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Woodyard
Kok,
Oracles DB resource manager and OS/390 WLM perform two different unrelated functions. Resource manager controls a database users database resource usage within Oracle. WLM controls the behavior of started tasks and applications OS/390 resource usage when running in the OS/390 environment. Oracle OS/390 runs as a started task in the OS/390 environment.

Chris

: Hi Guru,
: I am a DBA, I am going into OS/390 environment soon (till now have not see the screen yet!!). I am currently exploring the options above.

: Both these utility enable manipulation of "resource allocation" to allow user to prioritise their requests. For example, provide more computing
: resources to OLTP request compare to batch request during office hour.

: It is obvious that under OS that doesn't provide this utility or having limited utility - we can make use of Database Resource Manager (Oracle). Since OS/390 provide Work Load Manager (WLM). Assuming I have a machine running OS/390 solely for Oracle RDBMS. Under this circumstance, which is better with refer to
: the following :
: - more efficient
: - easy to manage / maintain

: What do you suggest? What is your opinion?

: Thanks in advance for any contribution.
Re: WLM vs Database Resource Manager (Oracle) [message #113649 is a reply to message #113647] Wed, 14 March 2001 23:22 Go to previous message
Kok Hwa
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply.

I was reading a technical papers title "Experiences Installing Oracle R3 (8.1.7) for OS/390 with OSDI" from ibm.com/redbooks.

In page 3, it said "1.2.4 Workload Manager and Oracle8i - Oracle for OS/390 with OSDI exploits WLM. Currently Oracle classifies workloads based on incoming Net8 clients. This means that different types of users can be identified and WLM can control the system resources assigned to these users."

In other words, WLM can do what Database Resource Manager is doing now - give priority to based on different user type. May be WLM is more effectively or may be not ..... I would like to gather some thoughts about this.

Cheers. KokHwa.
++++++++++++
: Kok,
: Oracles DB resource manager and OS/390 WLM perform two different unrelated functions. Resource manager controls a database users database resource usage within Oracle. WLM controls the behavior of started tasks and applications OS/390 resource usage when running in the OS/390 environment. Oracle OS/390 runs as a started task in the OS/390 environment.

: Chris

:
: : Hi Guru,
: : I am a DBA, I am going into OS/390 environment soon (till now have not see the screen yet!!). I am currently exploring the options above.

: : Both these utility enable manipulation of "resource allocation" to allow user to prioritise their requests. For example, provide more computing
: : resources to OLTP request compare to batch request during office hour.

: : It is obvious that under OS that doesn't provide this utility or having limited utility - we can make use of Database Resource Manager (Oracle). Since OS/390 provide Work Load Manager (WLM). Assuming I have a machine running OS/390 solely for Oracle RDBMS. Under this circumstance, which is better with refer to
: : the following :
: : - more efficient
: : - easy to manage / maintain

: : What do you suggest? What is your opinion?

: : Thanks in advance for any contribution.
Previous Topic: New to OS/390 - Install, migrate & tune Oracle. What course to take??
Next Topic: ORACLE 7.3.3 and OS/390 2.8
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:55:03 CDT 2024