Home » Infrastructure » Windows » printing from Reports to Windows 2003 PrintSrv
printing from Reports to Windows 2003 PrintSrv [message #255297] Tue, 31 July 2007 05:32 Go to next message
kirill.spb
hello all!

we have 2 printservers in network: Novell 4 and Windows Server 2003 SP2 R2 and many different printers connected to them (IPX-novell; TCP- Windows). and we are migrating from novell to windows, so why we have to use windows-based printserver. but here is a trouble in printing from Oracle Reports - reports prints faster on novell (25sec on 100 pages - it's a difference between nw and win). I've tried to update drivers on windows, change them at all, but the fastest result - 25sec of backlog..
windows has lagged behind :(Sad
it's terrible for us because its a 15k pages a day printing on only one printer Sad

how to speed up windows based printing?

thanks!

PS. sorry for my english Smile
Re: printing from Reports to Windows 2003 PrintSrv [message #255935 is a reply to message #255297] Thu, 02 August 2007 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kirill.spb
help me please...
ANY ideas?
Re: printing from Reports to Windows 2003 PrintSrv [message #256012 is a reply to message #255935] Thu, 02 August 2007 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Is it, perhaps, because Windows prints reports as BITMAPS (which might be very, very slow, especially on dot matrix printers)? Could you check whether there's something like "Print as bitmap" in printer properties so that you could disable it? Also, there *might* be something like "Disable Windows driver"; however, this will probably cause garbage to be printed, but - you might try it.
Re: printing from Reports to Windows 2003 PrintSrv [message #256181 is a reply to message #256012] Fri, 03 August 2007 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kirill.spb
Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 02 August 2007 23:10
Is it, perhaps, because Windows prints reports as BITMAPS (which might be very, very slow, especially on dot matrix printers)? Could you check whether there's something like "Print as bitmap" in printer properties so that you could disable it? Also, there *might* be something like "Disable Windows driver"; however, this will probably cause garbage to be printed, but - you might try it.

no, printers are laserjet.
and there is no option such as "print as bitmap"

where can I find "disable Windows Driver"?
Re: printing from Reports to Windows 2003 PrintSrv [message #256206 is a reply to message #256181] Fri, 03 August 2007 07:26 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I read your initial post once again; as I don't know much about network technologies, please, don't believe everything I say.

LaserJet printer is ... well, laserjet printer, no matter what kind of a cable you connect to it and which protocol runs there. If it is, for example, HP4650, it should print ~50 pages per minute once file gets to its memory.

Therefore, I believe that it is not a printer to blame.

Report is ran on a server. This server operates under certain operating system. Novell is, as I understand it, a network OS. MS Windows Server 2003 ... what about it?

How much time does it take for the same report to get the result on one operating system if compared to another one? Is your new server better than the old one (I suppose it is) - regarding RAM and CPU?

How do they compare when talking about networking performances? Wires are the same as they were before; so, is IPX faster than TCP?

As I've already said: I don't know much about this stuff - these are just my thoughts which may have nothing to do with the problem, but - if anything of it switches a bulb in your mind, cool.
Previous Topic: Oracle Lite
Next Topic: copy a file from one PC to another through DOS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:22:47 CDT 2024